Monday, December 3, 2007

SOS on Wisteria Lane


Only on your favorite weekly soap opera could your problems be solved with a white picket fence and a tornado. I mean, I dream of the day where I can literally erase people who are threatening the sanity of my life with a natural disaster.

Desperate Housewives is at its finest when the ladies are literally desperate with their men, their families and friends. Lynette and Susan are a bit whinier these days which is really irritating me. But I love what they have done with storyline/romance of Gaby and Carlos.

The thought of a soap opera like DH may cause you to sigh and gag. But peps don't hate on it. I was raised to NOT watch this stuff but I can't stop. As a youngster when I would come home from a friend's house riddled with Days of Our Lives or Dallas episodes my mother would rant on about how those shows were ruining society and how I was not to watch that trash. For years, I wondered why I was so drawn to them.

The mystery was solved when I noticed that my dear grandmother spent her free time reading trashy romance novels she picked up at the local Goodwill. Her and her sister in Arkansas would actually trade their books, sending large boxes across the country- with books brimming over the top- Romeo's and Juliette's on the cover. See people I tell you- it's in my blood. My mother denied it but I cannot. Love live the soap opera format - it comes in all shapes and sizes. Day time trash, HBO, ABC, AMC, you name it, it’s everywhere and as long as I'm watching you can't get rid of it.

No comments: