Friday, December 14, 2007

Things are heating up…


So I’m a bit behind on TV with all these merry holiday parties. I woke up tired this morning to a flashing headline in my email box (which I missed yesterday) about the writer’s strike. Holy crap the WGA has filed charges against the AMPTP. I guess the WGA feels that they were treated unfairly last week, so unfairly that they believe that the AMPTP violated federal law. Go writers!

Man, of course, this news only leads to a more depressing 2008 January TV season show lineup. But you know what, I can’t be selfish any longer. I’d rather have the TV and movie industry start taking the Internet more seriously and pony up the cash to the people hard at work.

On another non-scripted subject... I was able to catch THE PAPER the other night. This was a PBS Independent Lens production. I revved up the Tivo and pushed play thinking that I’d get bored quickly and take a nap on the couch. But I was riveted. Penn State’s Daily Collegian has one of the largest distributions for a college newspaper- 20,000 people. Wow. But as this doc starts they are losing their audience- down to 15,000. The college newspaper made up entirely of students has to get people reading their paper and fast.

The doc portrays the newsroom as thrilling, challenging, and even threatening as they strive to win back their readership. I was so impressed by the commitment level of the student reporters and editors. I mean, what was I doing in college? Only a couple student projects- I didn’t have to tackle issues of diversity, violence towards women and sports bullies when I did my little measly video projects. Kudos to these students and I’m sure they are moving on to better things at newsrooms across America. Oh, wait readership is down with national newspapers too. Well, I’m sure they will figure it out in the digital age.

No comments: