Saturday, November 10, 2007

that's right ladies! march!



So it's just getting worse! The Office is closed, Keifer has to go to jail and LOST will be just that at the start of the new year. And I really feel that up here in SF there's nothing that I can do. It's simply hilarious that The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers claims they can't track "new media." I mean what does that mean? I can track every single hit and move on my measly blog through Google Analytics. I'm sure that when ABC.com streams a show they aren't just showing those ads for kicks.

I've thought about the idea of abstaining from programming on new media sources. I don't own any DVDs of TV shows except for The Office (British version) which I think is in the hands of one of my husband's coworkers. I haven't downloaded a TV program off iTunes in about 4 months. And...there's not much I want to watch on the web streaming from the networks. Although I will admit it's my last ditch effort to catch up on TV shows I forgot to Tivo. So I guess officially TODAY I'll abstain from watching TV programming online, on DVDs and iTunes.

Some of you may feel the other way around. You're thinking - Why don't we watch the new media to prove to the industry that the medium is critical and easy to track? I've thought about this and you know I think they already know this. So I'm betting on supporting the writers. I'll stick to the tube for now.

3 comments:

wella said...

Well it's not really a boycott if you're not a regular consumer of online TV programming, DVDs, or iTunes downloads. But you do bring up a good point. We can support the writers' strike by abstaining from online media.

I don't watch YouTube anyway, so I guess I'm with you, Jules!!!

Nan said...

Eek! Is there any way to make the streaming audio optional Juls? It's hard to read while it's going... and it messed up the scary grease slip movie.

Back to finish reading! :^D

Nan said...

Okay... I did just turn down the audio! LOL (not that I hadn't thought of that but ya know...) ;^P

Unfortunately we can't even get streaming t.v. shows here in Canada (except maybe illegally but it takes about 100 years to download them I think.) So we watch our shows on the tube too. We don't get the best reception because, as you know we gave up cable. We've sort of been into watching old shows on DVD lately.

So what are the networks going to put on when there are no new shows left? Lots and lots of reruns? It's going to be as bad as NHL hockey being cancelled a few years back!!