Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Project Runway 4 - Episode 2 - Sarah Jessica Parker

After a week of wondering which "fashion icon" would guest on today's episode, Tim Gunn introduces the remaining 14 designers to Sarah Jessica Parker. I myself was shocked when the actress made her appearance. Chris March wept in the presence of the "Sex and the City" star who was as famous for being the lead in the HBO series as she was for dressing in designer duds in each episode. At least the Project Runway fashion icon for this season is a real person and not a toy like the Barbie doll.

The challenge was to pair up with a partner and spend only $15 on materials for a two-piece outfit that could retail for $40 on the Bitten line. Details like this on Project Runway inform the audience about how much of the cost of clothing goes to the labor of the design, not the materials nor the production.

Having the two-person-team episode this early in the season reveals a lot about how the designers esteem one another. There's the top tier of designers, the ones who carry themselves above the indignities of being on a reality show by not exhibiting any extreme emotions or controversial quirks.

The top tier thus far: serene Victorya picks Kevin, Rami (who has immunity) selects Jillian. Recall that Victorya and Rami were in the top two last week.

The middle tier with the quieter contestants: blonde Kit takes the weeping Chris, Marion pairs up with Steven.

The wacky ones: emotional lingerie designer Ricky goes with tall-dark-and-handsome Jack. I'd put Jack on the middle tier, but Ricky Lizalde keeps crying! Not a meltdown under stress a la Andrae from PR3, mind you. Ricky cries during his interviews!

Also wacky is the asymmetrically-hairstyled Christian. He picks as his partner ex-model Carmen, who'll spill tears of her own on the runway. Multimedia artist Elisa is left with Sweet P and she declares that's who she wanted all along.

Elisa continues to shock the audience. In this week's episode we learn that she spits on the fabric as a way of marking it and because "I want to imbibe it with energy..." Now that we're all grossed out and biased against her, I took a peek at Elisa's bio on the official Project Runway website. Guess what?

Vogue discovered Elisa and acknowledged her as the forefront of the new avant-garde, as well as one of the top 10 American Designers in the independent realm. (all boldface mine)
The bio also says Elisa's celebrity work includes Sarah Jessica Parker and "Sex and the City." Ugh, I'm getting frustrated with how seasoned and well-established this season's designers are! I feel manipulated... but I keep watching anyway.

This week's winner is Victorya. The judges love the shirt dress and the unusual vest she executed with Kevin. Surprise second-placers are Elisa and Sweet P. Despite all indications to the contrary, the polymorphic dress and the cape are beautiful pieces that drape very well. But now I know to expect more from the avant-garde Elisa who's already one of the top designers in the country, apparently.

Marion and Steven's potato sack of a dress -- or was it a top and skirt? -- and Christian and Carmen' overly-retro dress and jacket invoke two great quotes from Michael Kors this week (see below).

The last two designers on the runway are Christian and Marion. And the Project Runway judges consistently boot off the designer with the poor construction -- Marion. They can tolerate a badly designed dress, but not a badly sewn one.

My favorite quotes:
  • "Fashion shouldn't be a luxury and quality shouldn't be a privilege." - Sarah Jessica Parker
  • "Basically I'm on planet Earth and Elisa is on some happy planet, I'm not sure of the name." - Sweet P
  • "It looks a bit costume-y, like Pocahontas..." - Michael Kors about Marion & Steven's dress
  • "Next thing you know, you have big button earrings and you're on 'The Facts of Life'!" - Michael Kors about the dress by Christian & Carmen

3 comments:

stephy said...

I didn't watch it yet and this morning David told me who the surprise guest was and I got mad! I said "you always spoil movies for me" and he said "It's not a movie, it's tv" But now I have to tell him you would have ruined it for me anyway. :) it's okay! it's a risk i assume when i go onto the internet not having seen last night's show! xo

wella said...

Sorry about the spoiler, Stephy. You mean you don't watch PR4 once it airs? Must be this time-shifting trend I've been hearing about...

stephy said...

Yeah, thanks to Tivo I sometimes postpone my PR watching, I need to rearrange my priorities though - seriously! Julie and I watched that episode while she was here. She's the perfect PR watching partner.