Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Project Runway 4 - Christian wins!

Just before Heidi announced the winner of Project Runway Season 4, Christian Siriano's eyes were spilling tears. After watching him all season carry himself with a charming brand of arrogance, I was surprised to see him vulnerable. Christian, at 21 the youngest Project Runway contestant, was up against Rami ("I'm passionate about draping") Kashou and I thought the judges were going to disappoint me for the third season in a row by giving the prize to the more established designer. "Christian," Heidi said, "you're the winner." Cheers, applause, and cries of joy broke out at my house.

Throughout the season Christian's excessive self-confidence rubbed more than one fellow designer the wrong way. Even I was put off by it in the early episodes. But he was fun and funny, and incredibly talented. A caliber of talent that warranted forgiveness for his attitude. Christian commanded a little more than his fair share of screen time. His signature adjective -- "Fierce!" -- became such a catchphrase that to hear anyone else use it, including Heidi and Tim Gunn, made it sound overused coming from their lips.

Christian Siriano, winner of Project Runway 4This is how self-assured Christian is:

When Tim Gunn visited Christian to check on how his collection was progressing, Christian took a pair of pants made of feathers off the rack. Tim Gunn, brow furrowed, said nothing as he looked at the feathers. Christian declared the pants "amazing." Tim Gunn still didn't reply. Christian said, "What's wrong (beat) with you?"

Notice he didn't say, What's wrong with the amazing pants I made? He said instead, What's wrong with you, Tim Gunn, for not seeing how amazing these pants are?

And that's how cocky Christian is, this petite guy who'll get to vote for President for the first time in his life this year.

Christian Siriano dress at Fashion Week for Project RunwayHe wanted to win so badly he was crying on the runway. I wanted him to win. Fifty percent of the audience who texted their vote wanted him to win. And there is justice on Project Runway because Christian Siriano is the winner!

No comments: