Thursday, March 27, 2008

Over the Hill and Back Again


I'm over it! I know I've proclaimed this before but The Hills just isn't doing it. Everything, I mean everything between Heidi and Spencer was staged and it was so obvious it made my brain hurt. Dare I not tape it tonight? I don't know if I'd go that far. It's still fun to watch the car accident.

So this weekend I just caught on to some Bravo trash...have you watched this show Millionaire Matchmaker? I'm a little late on this (season finale already aired) only because I didn't really think I had any interest in a high end call girl service. But then I've discovered that's not exactly what it is. I love the matchmaker Patti, she's tough, very likeable and smart. She's not a douchebag which is so nice. Usually these reality shows have main characters that you'd never want to speak to like Jackie on Workout or Jonathon on Blow Out but Patti seems genuine and really believes in what she's doing. It's not fake, it's not set up...okay it is but it doesn't fee like it.

Moving away from reality programming...please watch Miss Guided on ABC on Thursday nights. Support the sitcom people! So this show basically is about a former geek turned guidance teacher who returns to her alma mater and realizes that she's still a geek. It's a bit weak and a little contrived but the cast is solid- Judy Greer (you know her from her stint on Arrested Development), Chris Parnll (please don't tell me I need to tell you who this is) and Kristoffer Polaha (okay he's a newcomer but kind o cute).

I need to thank the TV gods (Ashton Kutcher specifically) for finally airing a show where teachers are funny and weird. Didn't you know any funny and weird teachers growing up? Teachers are always portrayed in a very serious light on TV and I think it's to their detriment. Teachers can be cool and geeky and that is a wonderful thing. Just a shout out to all my friends who are teachers and pretty cool but NOT weird of course...

I think I need to go now because I may have inadvertently offended someone?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hm. I did have funny and weird teachers growing up, and I do like seeing that. But also, most of the sitcoms I've seen seem to portray teachers not (only) as serious figures, but often as loser-y stereotypes. Which always makes me kind of sad. I suppose the Simpsons is a good example, but I feel like this is pretty common in live-action shows and I can't pin down an example right now.