Today on NPR's Market place, Showtime president, Matt Blank, talks about his network and its slow inevitable rise...above HBO. Listen here and I'll give you the best quote: "It's unique (talking about his business model. First of all, I've always said that unlike most traditional networks, we're not purely in the eyeballs business and we have the luxury of being a little bit more in the hearts and minds business. And if we can own peoples hearts and minds with shows like "Weeds" and "Dexter," and that buzz you were talking about, ultimately that accrues to benefit the benefits of the brand. But again, what I got to before, if you create a new hit show…just go back to "CSI." When CBS put "CSI" on the air and it did great, within a week, they're monetizing. That's success. In terms of the size of the audience, in terms of the demos that are delivering and the rates they can charge advertisers and how they sell out those shows. With us, it is a slow build. I don't think we have yet really seen the benefit of all this programming, I think we've got some great times ahead because it takes a while."
I like this guy, he speaks my language! I think I'm close to picking Showtime as my deluxe-supreme-highly expensive-Comcast upper tier channel..
p.s.
Tonight- The Gong Show with Dave Attell and the season 5 premiere of Project Runway! OMG, my guest bloggers better get their typewriters out!
No comments:
Post a Comment