Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Don't Hate

I really hate it when people hate TV. When they announce on their blogs, or in the office, or at church, or at the coffee shop, or to their friends..."i took out the boob tube." It's really hateful.

I think what I hate the most about it is how they insinuate that they won't be wasting time anymore. Um...excuse me...but is watching TV the only way to waste time? Last I checked I could do that by taking a nap, not going to work, or tuning out on life as we know it.

Hmmmm...how odd. You'd think in these modern times people would hate on the internet, I mean, that's really the new media instrument. I want people to be like, "hey I threw my computer out! Won't be wasting time on facebook, myspace, writing senseless emails, surfing senseless and useless websites..." What a stir that would cause.

I simply can't hate something that can be used to inform, educate, entertain and influence people. Yeah, there's bad things on TV but um, you're on the internet and don't you know what's on the internet?! Useless blogs like mine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL Well, I don't hate t.v. I just prefer the computer as my main form of media. There's crap no matter where you go for entertainment really. And there are scads of way to waste your time (but, Lord, Julie... since when is a nap a waste of time?!!? Work places are now building nap rooms because naps are healthy! LOL) ;^P

I suppose I just prefer the internet because it's interactive, not because it's less smutty. But the thing it has over t.v. I think (and this is obviously just my opinion) is that you aren't stuck with whatever is on. You can go to a site that interests you or where you can relate to people, etc... you don't have to just take what you're given like you do with T.V. (though for those who have cable, obviously there are plenty of options!)

For our "time wasters" (Can we just call them relaxation inducers? It sounds nicer.) Shawn prefers t.v. I prefer the internet. And we only have three channels. We get lots of good movies though and are always checking out educational stuff from the library for the kids (because on our one channel that has kid's programming... the shows are just so dumb that they are insulting to even a child's intelligence.)

I am happy that we gave up cable though (Sorry!! Just bein' honest!) It's not that we haven't found other ways to waste time but we are less likely to just sit and keep watching and keep watching just because there is always something good on (which there was!)

Gotta have House though. I'll watch that as long as it's on the air!

As a t.v. producer though I can understand your annoyance!